So the third and possibly final issue this year of the magazine/newspaper I edit came out a couple of weeks ago! It's jam packed with featured artist. exhibition reviews and even a fashion and feminism feature for International Women's Day. You can see issue one and issue two and I'd love to know what you think!
Monday, 24 March 2014
Sunday, 23 March 2014
A couple of weeks ago I went along to an event being held at Harvey Nichols in Bristol. I was invited to the 'Beauty School Dropout' event as a blogger... the event was ordinarily ticketed, but at only £10 with the ticket price redeemable on products, it was a bargain!
The night, aside from plenty of glasses of prosecco, was school themed; with games, sweeties and even lessons! A make shift 'classroom' with a blackboard was set up and there were tutorials on how to achieve some of this season's make-up looks for yourself. There was also a small section where some fashion students from my university were drawing portraits and taking photographs of all the guests (see below). My portrait was drawn by the lovely Zoe, you can see more of her beautiful work on her twitter.
Me and my blogger friend Amie spent the evening chatting and getting tips from different professionals. I also got to meet the lovely SJ from Ship-Shape and Bristol Fashion. After taking plenty of snaps and eating some sweeties I headed off home but not before being given beautifully illustrated tea towel commemorating the event! How cute!?
I'll be back again with Harvey Nichols at their Summer Spring catwalk show on Tuesday. I went last year and I'm really looking forward to going again, this time in a different venue! You can buy tickets here!
Saturday, 8 March 2014
A short spell of blogger events has just come around which was kicked off with the #BrizBlogMeet last Sunday. I didn't feel very prepared as I was out quite late the previous night (oops!) but I did manage to drag myself out of bed, put on some sparkles and just about tame my fringe before heading down to Vodka Revs for the event.
Friday, 7 March 2014
Exciting news! I've teamed up with Love Saves the Day festival to offer two people the chance to win one of these bespoke headdresses as well as a pair of weekend tickets to the festival! I went last year and it was super fun. To enter follow the instructions on their Facebook post.
Let me know if you entered and which one you prefer. Don't forget that you can always buy your very own custom made headdress from my page!
Tuesday, 4 March 2014
As I mentioned yesterday, on Saturday I went and did some promo work for Lou Lou's Vintage Fair when it came to The Passenger Shed in Bristol. If you read this blog you know I love a good vintage store so I've been meaning to go to the fair for aaaages. Working at it was a good opportunity to see what it was all about whilst gathering some names for their mailing list. They also let me take charge of their Instagram for a little bit which I really enjoyed (see above!). I did a few vox pops with some people about their purchases and I took a couple of videos, you can see more and read the captions on their instagram account. I love people watching!
There was a wide range of traders there with a great variety of clothes and home ware from the 1940s up to the 1990s and everything was really reasonably priced. As well as this, the Pop-up Parlour was catering to everyone's vintage hair and make-up needs needs, Hotch Potch Vintage were supplying tea and cakes for all and DJ Rocka Lula was spinning the groovy background tunes. Unfortunately people were packing up their stalls by the time I had finished my shift so I didn't snap up any bargains but I did manage to grab one of the last cakes and it was scrummy!
You can keep up with when their nation wide events are on their Facebook page, the next Bristol event is on the 17th May!
• twitter • instagram • bloglovin' •
Monday, 3 March 2014
This is a big 'un because I my last instagram round-up was on the 24th of January and somehow it's March already?! I've been pretty busy so here are some of my highlights:
• I went to Dynasty for a Chinese on my friends birthday... well I wasn't actually eating, I only went for a drink but I got lots of leftovers shared with me!
• I worked on the door at a Wonka-Vision at Motion and got to wear another new Crown and Glory purchase, the meadow garland crown in plum, isn't it beautiful? This was a super fun night as loads of my friends from home came up for it.
• My flatmate and I had a very busy Tuesday the week after; we visited the Joelle Tuerlinckx exhibiton at the Arnolfini, had cocktails at The Greenhouse on Park street and then did a flyering shift for a Wide Eyes night at Lakota before going in afterwards to have a boogie. Phew.
• That weekend I worked on the door again at the Just Jack 8th Birthday Party at Motion which was another really cool night, the whole venue was used and they put a lot of effort into decoration; think dark clowns and giant bunting!
• My mum came up to visit midweek and we went to see Suzanne Vega who I've listened to since I was a kid. It was at the Colston Hall and though we were seated pretty far away it was still amazing. Beforehand we went to Sergio's for pizza, I would highly recommend it!! It was really pretty and I basically had my dream pizza; goats cheese, sundried tomato, olives, rocket and balsamic vinegar. Ahhhhhhh.
• Continuing on the theme of all things cheesy I got my late christmas present from my boyfriend which was a giant bag of cheese. He knows me well.
• Unfortunately he's apparently not a believer in Valentine's Day so my d.i.y efforts, which I've written about, were not reciprocated. Grr.
• Valentine's night was amazing though as we went to one of my favourite nights in Bristol, Happy Daze, which has incredible immersive decor and promotes an all out fancy dress, glittery face attitude! I made a leotard/playsuit thing out of some turquoise velour and was very impressed with myself. What do you think?
• The last couple of weeks have been spent doing a lot more work! For my Visual Journalism module we have to create news packages and me and my team have been doing a lot of filming in the Bear Pit are of Bristol with the aim to create a short news package explaining the plans for new developments in the area.
• I've also been planning stuff with Bristol Women's voice, for whom I am a volunteer reporter... If you're Bristol based you should definitely come to the M-Shed this Saturday for Bristol Women's Voice's exciting International Women's Day event and #getwomentalking!
• My grandma and granddad came to visit, so I went back home to Devon. We went out for a lovely meal, visited Castle Drogo and I even got to catch up with my best pal and go for a dog walk with her as she was co-incidentally also home for the weekend.
• This weekend has been pretty busy too! On Saturday I finally mastered the victory roll as I was working at Lou-lou's Vintage Fair. It was a great day and I'll be writing a post with more detail soon.
• On Saturday night I ended up working again as I got another shift working on the door at a Just Jack night this time at the Old Coroner's Court. It was pretty chilly but a really fun night... unfortunately I ended up staying out for a little bit and went to bed at six which didn't bode well for Sunday.
• Yesterday was the #BrizBlogMeet which I attended a little bit bedraggled and tired but had some lovely food and great chats with old and new blogging buddies, more about that soon too!
You can see all of my previous 'instaupdates' here or just follow me on Instagram. What have you been up to?
• twitter • instagram • bloglovin' •
• twitter • instagram • bloglovin' •
© la dulcie vita | festivals, fashion & frolicking.. All rights reserved.